Sunday, August 11, 2013

Weekend Wrap-up


What a great weekend!  My old roommate, Helen, and her husband Chris came in town to visit, and we had three days of non-stop fun!  I'm exhausted today, but so happy to have had them come play!  I love visitors but rarely get them, so when I do, I go a little crazy planning so many fun things to do and great places to eat.

First stop was to Baltimore for the Jay Z and Justin Timberlake concert.  After a four hour drive from DC to Baltimore (and a mildly episode of road rage and an erratic pity-party) we made it to the concert an hour late.  Luckily, they still played for almost two more hours, so we got to hear some of our favorite songs.  The rain didn't stop us from getting down to "Sexy Back".

Traffic jam getting off the exit...drove 0.5 miles in 1 1/2 hours.  Insanity.

Justin Timberlake and Jay Z at Ravens Stadium

The next day, Helen and I did a little shopping and walking in Georgetown. 

Only in Washington, DC...
Helen is about four months pregnant, so we had to pop in to a few baby boutiques.  How adorable are these little onesies that we had to go ahead and buy for the baby?!?!

Since I had visitors, I had to take a paleo break...and boy did I break it!  For lunch, we had iced coffee and split a Red Velvet Cakecup, and a chocolate ice cream and peanut butter cookie sandwich from Baked & Wired...my favorite dessert shop in DC!


Then we took a stroll around the Georgetown canal and the waterfront before heading to dinner at Zaytinya (one of my all-time favorites).  Perfect day for a walk around the neighborhood!

Georgetown canal
The next day we had brunch with friends at Belga Cafe, a delicious Belgium restaurant on 8th Street SE.  Next we headed to the National Gallery of Art to see a few exhibits that were about to close...the Edvard Munch exhibit (which closes today) and Ballet Russes exhibit, which was very interesting.  It closes October 6th, and I highly recommend going to see it before then.  Then we were off to an early dinner at BlackSalt, for the best crab cake sandwiches in DC.  So worth the price.

Finally, we finished our weekend with an evening at Nats Park.

Cold beer and baseball

We had great seats, and although we were down 4-0 in the first half of the game, the Nationals came back to beat the Phillies 8-5!

Great seats at Nats Park!

And best of all, we watched history be made...Jayson Werth hit a home run for his 1,000th career run!  It was an awesome moment for a Nationals fan!

Congrats on your 1,000th hit Jayson Werth! What a hit!
Needless to say, after a great weekend and making a 4:30 AM airport run, I am exhausted!  Such a fun weekend, and sad to see my friends go back home.  Now, who wants to come visit next?  As you can see, I make one helluva fun-filled hostess!

No comments:

Post a Comment