Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Weekend Wrap-Up

Sandy Point State Park

I am having a hard time believing that summer is now all but officially over.  Time has flown by, and even worse, I hadn't had one beach day this entire summer.  Not one.  Now typically, I am a planner...I love putting together a night or a weekend or a vacation, making sure to hit up all the restaurants and must-see places.  But with everything that has been going on these past few months, I just let planning a beach weekend slip by me.  So, what's a girl to do then when Labor Day weekend is here and the beach availability has far been sold out?  Research other options...and did I find a hidden gem just an hour outside of DC!

Sandy Point State Park is a 786-acre Maryland State Park located on the Annapolis shore of the Chesapeake Bay.  There are boat rentals, crabbing, hiking paths, fishing areas, tons of areas for cookouts & picnics and best of all, a beach.  The beach is small, and the sand is an odd texture, probably because there isn't really a tide on the Bay, but hey--a beach is a beach!  There were jellyfish out, so I didn't dare get in the water, but the view was beautiful with the Bay Bridge straight ahead and sailboats crowding the water.  

Since we were in Annapolis, we had to stop for dinner at Cantler's Riverside Inn, my favorite crab shack in Maryland.  We feasted on boiled jumbo shrimp, seared ahi tuna nachos, hush puppies, and of course, steamed Maryland crabs.  If you've never been, it is worth the trip!  So delicious, and made for a very satisfying day!

Steamed Maryland crabs at Cantler's

The rest of the weekend was filled with relaxation, watching football, and some well-needed down time.  I finished reading both Divergent and Insurgent this week...fantastic books that I couldn't put down!  I am anxiously waiting for the last of the trilogy, Allegiant, to debut in October.  A bit of the stomach bug was still lingering, probably thanks to my crab feast, but it was worth it.  Hope you all had a fun filled and relaxing Labor Day weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment