Thursday, December 5, 2013

Turkey Breast Stuffed Peppers



The holidays (and my birthday) are upon us, and though this is my most favorite time of year, thanks to my workout restrictions this year, I am having to tighten up my diet along with my wallet so I can spurge on only the special occasions.  That means bringing my lunch to work and eating at home, and one of my very favorite recipes to make is turkey stuffed peppers.  Super cheap and easy to make, and if you only eat one per meal, you can have lunch and dinner for almost half a week!  I have tweaked this a bit to make it more paleo (only add 1 cup of brown rice and no cheese), but both ways are delicious!

Turkey Stuffed Peppers

Servings: 6 servings (1/2 pepper), Time: 55 minutes, WW Points: 5, Calories: 184.7 per serving, Fat: 2.3g, Protein: 20.8g, Carb: 20.2g, Fiber 1.6g

1 lb. ground turkey breast meat
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 onion, minced
1 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
1 tsp garlic powder (I used more)
1 tsp cumin powder (I used more)
salt to taste
3 large sweet red bell peppers, washed
1 cup fat free chicken broth (I used regular, low sodium)
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups cooked rice (I used brown)
olive oil spray
1/4 cup reduced fat shredded cheese

Heat oven to 400. Spray a little olive oil spray in a medium size saute pan and heat on a medium flame.  Add onion, garlic and cilantro/parsley to the pan.  Saute about 2 minutes and add ground turkey breast.  Season with salt, garlic powder and cumin and brown meat for several minutes until meat is completely cooked through.  Add 1/4 cup of tomato sauce and 1/2 cup of chicken broth, mix well and simmer on low for about 5 minutes.  Combine cooked rice and meat together.

Cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise, and remove all seeds.  Place in a baking dish.  Spoon the meat mixture into each pepper half and fill it with as much as you can (mine were overflowing).  Place all stuffed pepper halves in the baking dish and pour the remainder of the chicken broth in the bottom of the pan.  Cover tight with aluminum foil and bake for about 35 minutes.  Top with shredded cheddar cheese and enjoy.  I also added a few dashes of hot sauce on them after I added the cheese.  Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment