Thursday, January 2, 2014

Happy 2014!

Love this. Couldn't resist the Golden Girls.
 
Happy New Year!  I am incredibly optimistic and hopeful about this new year...not that 2013 was a horrible year, but more one of realization and awakening.  Yes, there were some down moments and events, but instead on dwelling on that, I have been reflecting upon how much I have learned and grown through these experiences, and now look forward to 2014 being a year of putting that all into action.
 
I've been thinking a lot about my resolutions this year, because I really wanted to come up with goals and challenges for myself.  And since the best way to stick to goals and challenges is to make them accountable, here you go:
 
1.  I will no longer put my life on hold for an unworthy man.
No matter how handsome, charming and sexy his British accent is (ahem, you know who you are)--no more!  Time and time again, I get way too ahead of myself in relationships, and end up putting my needs aside in the hopes that the dreams in my head will come to fruition.  Silly girl--I've finally learned that a woman worth having isn't one who stands waiting, and the man I want won't keep me waiting anyway.  This year, I will live my life in the now, and if a gentleman shows up during all my living, then wonderful!  If not, at least I'm doing what makes me happy.
 
2.  I will treat myself and my body with the love and respect it deserves.
This means first and foremost, I will get healthy!  Focusing first on recovering from my injuries, and once I do, not overdoing it so I don't get sidelined again this year.  I will also focus not only on clean eating and drinking in moderation (my age has caught up with me in hangovers), but I also vow to stop letting my emotions take over.  No more emotional eating, spending, or shutting myself in on the couch!  I will get outside and move more, restart my yoga practice, and work on focusing on the positive and not the negatives.  When I am eating right, sleeping well and moving more, I feel incredible--so why wouldn't I want to feel incredible every day of the year?  Duh.
 
3.  I will travel more, read more, see more and do more.
Like I said, this is a year of action!  My trip to Nicaragua is my big ticket this year, but I also will visit a friend in Brooklyn, try to get back to Arkansas a few times, get to the beach at least once or twice, and hope to explore a city in the US in which I've never been.  I also need to take advantage of all this city has to offer--go to more art exhibits, festivals, new restaurants, and cultural events in town.  There is so much to see and do in DC, and I need to get off my butt and do them!  No more endless nights spaced out in front of the TV!
 
4.  I will spend time organizing, cleaning and preparing myself for each week ahead.
This one will probably be the biggest challenge for me, because it means taking on stuff I really don't like to do.  I need to really look into my finances, set a budget, and stick to it!  Organize my condo so that I purge myself of items I no longer need, and organize what I do have.  Really deep clean, and then keep up with my cleaning a bit every day so that it doesn't become a daunting chore.  And finally, I need to spend my Sundays getting ready for the week ahead--planning my meals, fixing my breakfasts/lunches, making my to-do list, scheduling my free time, etc.--so I am not wasting time and money needlessly.
 
So I realize this is a lot to take on, but I know I can do it!  I have some lofty ambitions for this year, and I feel like if I focus on these four items first, everything else (fingers crossed) will better fall into place.  Who's with me?!?!  What are your resolutions for this year?
 


1 comment:

  1. So, come to Columbus, Ohio for a visit! Love your goal list. Keep it going! <3

    ReplyDelete