Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Packing for the End of the World



Two weeks ago, I was put to task for a work project that brought up some serious deep thoughts--if I had one bag to pack away whatever I would need for a emergency relocation event, what would I pack?  Obviously, I crossed off all of my high maintenance, girly "necessities".  Do I really need to make sure I have my Clarisonic with me if disaster happens?  Is it essential that my face lotion is my beloved Murad Essential C? My Sonicare toothbrush?  My T3 hairdryer?  No, no I don't.  And yes, I know.  Some may say I'm a beauty product obsessed.  I prefer to say I'm seasoned, know what I like and know what works for me.

Silly as it may seem, I really struggled with this for weeks.  I mean, if disaster really were to strike and I was shipped off, safe but away from whatever disaster may have occurred, what would be of comfort to me?  Would it be enough to be safe and away, or would I really want some things packed away to give me a bit of comfort in unimaginable circumstances?

My answers: yes, and yes.  I made sure that I packed slippers and some of my comfy clothes.  And thanks to Birchbox, I packed a ton of beauty samples--serums and lotions and products that make me feel both good.  Comforting to me. Also, I made sure to pack workout clothes and running shoes...not much is better to de-stress me than a great workout.

I turned it in, assured of my choices, but now I am thinking about more and more that I should have added.  Assuming that I would have my purse with me, I knew that I would have access to photos of loved ones in my iPhone and iPad, so I didn't pack any.  But what if I don't?  Should I stash a few pics of family and friends, just in case they are the last I have of them?  And my pillow that I have had forever--I should find one just like it to throw in there.  I'm always cold--definitely should have tossed in a soft scarf and a blanket.  And damn it, I forgot to pack dental floss too.  Must add that next time.

The more I think about this, the more I add and subtract all the things in my stowaway bag.  Let's hope it never comes to the day in which I need it.  I know there will never be a perfect list of must haves, but I am glad that I put thought into it and did pretty well on my first try.

What would you pack if it was the last bag you may ever pack?  Any essentials that you couldn't live without, no matter what the circumstances?

No comments:

Post a Comment